Subject: Re: Betacam SP offloading
From: Jim Phillips <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 14:38:57 -0700

At 07:44 AM 4/23/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>I don't know if anybody else is doing this, but I've had to lug my
>>workstation around to different production studios to offload my animation.
>
>
>Ever tried an Exabyte? A 14gig Exabyte costs something in the $2500 range,
>and any studio that has an Abekas disk recorder would be able to do layoff
>to the format of your choice. The quality of frames saved in Abekas format
>(YUV) are far in excess of the PVR's output with a true CCIR 601 digital
>compliance. For the very demanding clients, it's nice to have to flexibility
>of all-digital output and layback. Another advantage is if you do a film
>project once and a while, render your animation out as a sequence of Cineon
>files, take the tape to a digital transfer house and you've got instant film
>capability. Last but not least Exabyte is a great backup system.
>
>
I don't think that many of the 1 or 2 man studios I work with have that
capability.   I do a lot of small $500 to $1,000 jobs with small studios.
Every has Beta, but I don't think they have Abekas disk recorders.   

I have some friends in the industry helping me find a good fix to this
problem.   If they turn up something great, I'll post the results.   Thanks
to everyone for the advice.   I'm going to look further into Exabyte.
Jim Phillips   
[email-masked]
LW / DEC ALPHA / PVR / Photoshop